Tuesday, 31 May 2011

Name Changes

Going on Honeymoon with Your Married Name

Right, so I went on the website and have the official government information! uk-passport-informat-guide

The website address for that site is If you’re like me and renewing a passport that’s already run out, the process is somewhat easier.

And there is some more information on this page.

Firstly, you will need forms: PD1 and PD2. PD1 is the information leaflet which tells you all about the process, and PD2 is the extra name change form you need to include with your normal passport application.

So, basically, when you apply for your passport renewal, you send off the name changing form with your normal form and then your passport will become valid on the same date as your ceremony.

240x200_passportTo renew an adult ten-year 32-page passport costs:

  • £77.50 for the standard service

  • £112.50 for the one-week Fast Track Service

  • £129.50 for the one-day Premium service

IPS (Identity and Passport Services) can prepare a first passport in your married name any time up to three months before the wedding. But the passport is 'postdated'. This means you cannot use it before the day of the ceremony. Some countries will not issue visas for postdated passports. You should check with the consulate of the country concerned.

If you are going to a country that requires a visa in advance, instead of justwomanpassportring the stamp in your passport, like China or Vietnam, I wouldn’t bother changing your name on your passport. The name on the visa and the passport will have to match else they won’t always let you in, even with your marriage certificate. It’s best not to risk it.

My wedding location just has a stamp in the passport as a visa, like Hong Kong, USA and Europe, so I’m not too worried about having my married name in my passport.

article-0-01EC4A9A00000578-762_468x335Contact your travel agent or the consulate of the country you’re visiting to check if you need a visa to visit. Or google. I googled. (When did Google become a verb?)

There is a lot of good information on the internet already, as a lot of people are asking the same questions. To be sure, however, it’s best to check with the country you’re visiting.

I can’t wait to get my passport with a new name in it! How exciting is that?!

Open-mouthed smile

No comments:

Post a Comment